Saturday, July 04, 2020

Independence Day

Today is of course Independence Day in the United States, but unofficially, it's also being called that here in the UK.

That's because the lock-down is being eased still further - the pubs are open today along with hairdressers and also some cinemas. It's hard to know how the public will take this, Boris Johnson has cautioned people not to 'go mad' as he put it.


Personally my money is on most people being pretty sensible. The Bank of England are also cautiously optimistic about our economic future. For once me and the Bank agree - there is tremendous pent up demand in the economy, no sign of mass redundancies yet, and the stock market is buoyant. I'm predicting a V shaped recession, unless you work in aviation or theatre.

Every now and again, I try and read Richard Ford's great novel Independence Day around this time of year. It's an astonishingly good lyrical novel about humdrum ordinary things made magical, and coping with the let-downs and disappointments of middle age. Every time I read it I find something new to enjoy and admire. 

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home